Friday, July 20, 2007

SUCCCESS!! Dallin Pees in the Potty!!!



He did it! Dallin peed in his potty! We are so proud of him (and frankly completely shocked). Dallin is still so young (only 22 months old) so although we have wanted to start potty training (his poops are INHUMAN!) we haven't pushed him AT ALL. We bought him his own potty and Elmo potty chair about 5 months ago just so that we could start talking to him about it. We also started making a big deal of mommy and daddy going potty in the toilet (and pretty much anyone else), and put some wrapped gifts/bribes on the back of the toilet for when he used his potty.
He didn't seem very interested, except that the toilet could also be used as a step stool to get into things. Then about 2 months ago, he started to want to sit on the big toilet. One day, he just climbed up into/onto it. His pajamas were on and one foot of them was completely wet, but he was on the toilet and he was so proud. At that point he started showing interest in sitting on the big toilet, which progressed into interest in sitting on his little potty. Within the last month, he wanted me to take off his diaper so he could sit on his little potty and taking off his diaper or grabbing at it when it was wet or dirty. All the while, we kept getting more excited because we could see we were getting closer and closer, but we still didn't want to push it.
So, this week, Dallin started doing the ASL for potty and then grabbing his diaper and going to the bathroom door. Today, I finally gave in and thought "what the heck" . I let him go into the bathroom, took off his diaper, and let him sit on his potty chair when he signed "potty". He sat there giggling and so excited so I decided to sweeten the deal....literally. Dallin could have a popsicle if he sat on his potty to eat it. So, Dallin and I sat on toilets, facing each other, eating orange popsicles. Then I read him a few stories while he sat on his potty. I also reminded him a few times that he could get a present for going pee or poop in the potty. After the books though he was ready to leave and so we put his diaper back on and went out. I thought nothing else of it. I was just happy that he was starting to sit on the potty for an extended period of time. Then later in the evening, he signed potty again and I thought that I would let him go sit in there again. This time, he could call whoever he wanted on the phone and talk to them as long as he sat on his potty, and he could drink all the juice he wanted (normally he can only have a set amount of juice a day) in a special bottle. He called Papa, he called Daddy, and he called Grandma K. While he was on the phone (and between calls), he drank juice and we talked about how he could have a present if he peed in the potty. After he talked to Grandma K, he got up off the potty and to my surprise...there was PEE IN THE POTTY!!! I showed Dallin and there was lots of high fives and "I'm so proud of you"...all the while I was completely shocked telling Christopher's mom what had just happened. I was so excited, I was jumping up and down and doing a "pee pee dance", all while making a HUGE deal of Dallin going potty in the little potty! He was giggling and excited. Dallin called Papa and Daddy and got to tell everyone his big news, and (of course) he got to open a present. We are so excited and surprised. We still don't plan on pushing anything, but he seems to be really taking to this on his own...so who knows!? It took me FOREVER to find my camera, but I did and here are some proof positive pictures.
1.....Dallin checks out his pee in the potty!
2.......Dallin tells mommy about how he peed in the potty (notice how he points! LOL)
3.....Dallin "reads" the special book that he got as his present for going pee in the potty
4......Dallin empties his potty for the first time

No comments: