Well, it appears that we will still be missing that last piece of the puzzle for a while longer. We received a "not yet" this past weekend and had a miscarriage.
Here are the basics for those who want to know. I was just over 12 weeks along. There were no "warning signs"-pain, spotting, etc of any kind until late Saturday night when I had to use the bathroom and found that I was spotting. No pain at all though. By Sunday morning, the spotting was slightly more and I was cramping. It progressed through the day and by the late afternoon I was having contractions. By late Sunday night, the contractions were on top of each other and I headed to the hospital. After blood tests, ultrasound, and an exam in the ER, we were told that our baby had stopped growing at 7w4d and my body had continued to carry it. (This, unfortunately, is not a complete surprise for me since I know that my cervix refuses to open for anything and that is why I have my children c-section...this is also the second miscarriage where I carried for an additional 3+ weeks because I could not open . However, the last miscarriage was earlier on and there was no "baby" present. It was a "blighted ovum"). Anyways, due to the fact that I had carried it an additional 5 weeks, there was some concern about infection setting in. That, and the high levels of pain I was in prompted us to go ahead with the d&c at the hospital. By 6am Monday morning, I was in surgery. Physically, I felt much much MUCH better after it was all over. I am a bit stiff and sore if I get moving around though. We have had a lot of support from family and friends and we thank you all for being there for us during this difficult time.
FAQs
*What caused it?
As is the case with most 1st trimester miscarriages, there is no known cause and no reason to suspect that this would happen again. We were just unlucky. Something did not mesh during development and that was that.
*How are you guys feeling?
We are still wrapping our brains around this. Everything happened so fast....one moment we were 3 months pregnant and then with no warning, we were in trouble and within 36 hours we were no longer having a baby. It is VERY disappointing and makes us very grateful for the 2 beautiful children we ALREADY have.
*How did the kids take it?
We explained to them in very basic terms that our baby needed to leave mommy's tummy and go be with Heavenly Father for a while since it was not time for our baby to come to our family yet. We told them that when it was time, Heavenly Father would send the baby back to mommy's tummy. Dallin seemed eager to "protect" our baby but accepted this explanation.
*Are you guys going to try again?
We definitely still feel like we want to add that last piece to our family, but will be waiting a couple months before we try again to get around the physical and emotional aspects of everything that has just happened.
*What do you need?
We are very grateful to have had so much support already from family and friends. I am recovering quickly and we just appreciate everyone being willing to be there for us. The love and friendship mean the most to us right now.
As 2015 comes to a close...
10 years ago


4 comments:
Valerie, my heart goes out to you guys. I am so sorry to hear that. I hope you have a quick recovery and that you will be able to complete your family before too long. So sorry for your loss.
LOVE YOU!!!!!
We are so sorry to hear this news! I hope you recover quickly. We will pray for you and your family. love you guys.
Valerie, Valerie; I am so sorry. We're thinking of you! Let me know if you want to chat.
Post a Comment