We had an extra special treat last week. We got to celebrate my Grandma Faye's birthday with her here in Texas!
Grandma came down for a visit and stayed all week. The kids were completely out of their minds with excitement over her visit. Kate kept coming over and talking to Grandma.....and talking...and talking....and talking. Grandma hung on every word. Kate adored it! Dallin really loves being around Grandma too. He threw his arms around her right when he first saw her yelling "Grandma Faye Grandma Faye!" and he cried when she left. On this visit, Dallin made a discovery--Grandma only has 1 complete hand. The other has only a couple of fingers. It has always been this way, and it has never been something that I can really say I have ever even noticed. My Grandma can do anything anyone else can. Anyways, Dallin noticed this during her visit (maybe the 2nd day?) and was just mesmerized. He kept talking and talking and talking about it. After lots of questions and asking if he could touch it and shake it, he let it go. Thankfully, Grandma was very patient and gracious about it. Later in the week, Dallin asked me if his hand would be like that when he grew up. I thought he was afraid and told him no. God makes people all different ways. Well, before Grandma left, Dallin announced "I wish my hand was going to be like Grandma's. Grandma is soo lucky! God made her really special!" I can honestly say I never really thought about it that way, but I think he's right! On Sunday we had our big family dinner on Grandma's birthday so we had a big birthday party! It was really fun!
There was wonderful food and family.
There were lots of hugs. The hug between Maddie and Kate is monumental since they have only recently begun liking each other much. Also, Kate seems to have an aversion to hugging (except from me...of course)
There were even some games (like ring around the rosie)
There were presents. Even my kiddos got in on it and colored Grandma a picture. They were very proud of their works of art and Grandma LOVED them!
Grandma got mostly pictures from everyone. She LOVES pictures (and they are really easy to fly with!) 

We had a really swingin' time!




And, of course, we had a delicious German Chocolate birthday cake (Grandma's favorite) with really snazzy Happy Birthday candles. It took all 4 guys to light them up quickly.
Unfortunately, the first time dad wasn't quite quick enough and as I was telling my children NOT to blow the candles because Grandma was a big girl and could do it herself.....my dad's match got to his fingers and he starting huffing and puffing and ended up blowing out ALL the candles in addition to the match. My children totally gave me a look like "why does HE get to?" So they lit them again (this time we told dad that Grandma was old enough to do her own candles LOL)Before we left, the missionaries took pictures of our entire family with Grandma. That was really awesome and I am glad that we got those shots! We sure love Grandma!
Grandma Faye now has 2 daughters, 1 son-in-law, 6 grandchildren, 3 grand-in-laws, and 3 great grandchildren in all (with one on the way---Tammy and Will's). Happy Birthday Grandma!


2 comments:
That was quite the party! It looked like so much fun! Grandma is so loved! Wow, the kids got some air! They are so high!
It was a very memorable time! I am so glad that grandma came to see us! Those kids really took flight. The photos were really cool and it was great that we could all celebrate mom's birthday together!
Post a Comment