
So on April 16, Macy got spayed. That's right, no puppies for us! She was dropped off early this morning at the vet. There was some definite action going on as one of the dogs there being dropped off bit another lady dropping off and then bit one of the vet techs. I didn't get a good look at the dog, but it was german shepherd sized. I didn't even realize it bit the first lady. I just thought she was mad about something that I didn't know about. She just started swearing and threw down her keys and check in paper and ran out. It was only after she returned that I realized she had been bitten. Anyways when the vet tech tried to take the dog back, he totally bit her hand. I mean he REALLY got her. There was lots of blood and you could see that there were deep punctures. Blood was spilling all over the floor. It was gruesome. I have never seen a dog bit in person before. The vet tech went to the back, got stitched and bandaged and came back out...she kept right on working. I don't think I could have. I later learned that she went to the ER and that the dog was put down (apparently he was a repeat offender).
Anyways, Macy had an uneventful surgery and I picked her up at 5. It was really weird spending a day without her. It seemed so quite and slow at home (even though both kids were there). When we went to pick her up, we had to purchase her first ever.....CONE OF SHAME! This was to make sure she wouldn't lick her stitches until they healed. So after we had the vet tech help us pick the right size, they brought her out. At first she wasn't going to come for anything, but then I called to her and she perked right up. She was soooo excited and didn't let me leave her sight for several days. She wouldn't leave her stitches alone so she ended up wearing her cone of shame for several days--until they were on their way to healing. It was HILARIOUS! As soon as we put it on her, she hung her head. She would just drag her head along the ground when she walked and she looked so so so humiliated.
I felt bad for her, but I was very amused. They told us not to let her run, jump, play or anything for a week. I kept her pretty still for about 3 days. After that, it was a lost cause. She is a puppy. She is completely back to normal now and the scar is barely noticeable. The cone is a distant memory....except when the kids find it and try it on. Then Kate runs around the house saying "I the cone of shaaaame!" Ha Ha! Gotta love that!


2 comments:
Awww, poor Macy. Glad she's back to normal. That's quite the story!
Yep! The cone of shame! What can I say? I'm glad that she is past that and on to a new adventure!
Post a Comment