Monday, January 12, 2015

Best Face Forward




Today my girls gave me a makeover.....again.   This happens almost every... single... day.   By the time they are done using their makeup AND mine plus various amount of hair accessories, spray and gel, I usually look like a dime store stripper.  In spite of this fact, I will probably let them do it again tomorrow.  This time was actually better than most and I didn't look quite so...ummmm....fancy?     I have had hot pink eyeshadow in my eyebrows and my hair in a billion little water spout ponytails.   My nails always look like I just graduated kindergarten.  In case you are wondering, yes I have left my house like this before because I forgot to wash it off and yes, I have answered the door like this before.    I have even sat in church and stared at my multi-colored chipped nail fluorescent nails.  I have gotten quite a few strange looks and sent people into fits of laughter.   When the girls have friends over, the favorite activity is "make over mom".  
There have been times when I look at those together moms--the ones with great makeup and nails and killer outfits who always look together when I see them--and I feel a little embarrassed, a little less than.  One such day, a fellow mom came to pick up her daughter from our house.  I was fully made over (of course) and she said "oh you're such a cool mom."   I smirked and said "Oh yeah...just look at me....in pjs, house a mess......"  Then she said "no, you are a really fun mom.   All those together moms take one look at you and THEY'RE jealous because you're the fun mom the kids want to be with"     That really struck me.  She was so together, so polished, so neat and crisp and she thought I was a cool, fun mom....and you know what?   She is so totally right!  I AM a fun mom.  I make a bajillion mistakes and I have a zillion things to do better, but when my girls do my makeup and we spend that time together it is like time stands still--their little hands on my face and their little faces so close to mine as they check every part of the makeover process intently.  Their giggles as they make mom's hair stand up.   Their gasps of awe and admiration at their finished product.  This won't last forever.  I will have years to look picture perfect, crisp, and professional, but how long can I really rock this chipped nail polish and hot pink eye shadow?   During our makeovers,  I am the greatest supermodel to ever grace their presence, but I am also their mom....who played with them.  




 

No comments: