Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Dallin's Spectacular Spider-Man Birthday Cake

I will have to redate this post later. I did this on September 26. LOL
I was so very proud of myself for even attempting this cake....and then when it turned out pretty cute...well, it deserved its own post! This was a lot more complicated that the all red with eyeballs Elmo cake I did for his 2nd birthday....that was my first time :)...so basically, this was only my second time. I was glad to be able to borrow the cakepan from my friend, Rushell, since I was really trying to make Dallin's Spidey cake dream a reality in the cheapest way possible.

Here is what the cake looked like right out the oven. When I saw this, I flipped a twig. I am sure you can see some of the lines in the picture. These type of cake are like paint by number. You trace the lines and fill them in with stars....even I can do it...BUT when I caked this cake, at least half of the lines DISAPPEARED! Spidey has a lot of "webbing" all over the place and I was really doubting my ability to be able to fake my way through this. However since I did not have time to start again and didn't have fundage to just buy a cake...I took the picture of what it should look like in hand and winged it.
I outlined around Spidey with thinned yellow frosting. If you have ever seen the directions for this cake, then you know that it was supposed to be light blue and then dark blue trim and dark blue Spidey. I tried to make light blue AND dark blue....it did not work. I ended up with dark blue and well...more dark blue. I decided I needed to use something else and since yellow is Dallin's favorite color (and I actually HAD some of that...it was that or lime green or pink) that is what we used.
After about an hour....here are my lines on Spidey. I was really sweatin bullets, and I was definitely glad the kids were asleep. To make it smooth around his eyes, I dipped my fingers in cornstarch and smoothed it out. It definitely looks better in this picture than I thought it looked at the time.
Ta-da. Spidey with his blue costume. I realize the "dark" blue is not all that dark, but no matter how much of that goop you use....if it says "royal blue"...it will still be "royal blue" or at least I couldn't figure it out.
Spidey with the red filled in. At this point, I started getting excited because it really started looking like Spiderman.
The kids woke up about the time I was half through with the red. They enjoyed watching...pointing...and ALMOST touching the cake. I let them eat plenty of icing and nasty candy letters. Kate looked like an angry smurf. Not surprisingly, they had some VERY neon poos over the next few days.
I edged the cake in blue. I think it added a lot to the overall look of the cake.


Dallin wanted his cake to say "Happy Birthday Dallin", but alas...there was no room on Spidey so I stuck Happy on one side, Birthday on the other, and Dallin on the bottom edge. He was thrilled. Yes...I used those little candy letters that taste terrible. I know my limits....me and writing with frosting....fugeddah bout it! I tried once when Dallin was 1....it was barely legible. In fact, it looked like he had written it himself. LOL
As a final touch, I added a 4 on the top. Spidey was not very cooperative since he kept holding up 5 fingers.
Finally, I added the white eyes. The reason this came so much later was that in my quest to make the right color of blue....and then yellow....I accidentally forgot to leave myself ANY white frosting for the eyeballs. My arms were still aching from all the powdered sugar sifting and icing the cake in the first place so I was not about to make another giant batch for two blobs of white. So...yes, I went to HEB and bought the white icing in a decorating tube....ahhhh...sweet relief.
I thought the cake looked pretty good...even better when it dried and kind of looked 3D. Dallin was just beside himself and watching his eyes light up over his cake made the hours of work and 3 days of sore arms...COMPLETELY worth it. I love that kid!

1 comment:

csharpfamily said...

Nice Spidey Cake!!! It was fun to hear about the process. I wish that I would have been well enough to join in the celebration. I am so glad that he had a wonderful time. Dallin, the amazing soccer player is now four years old. What an amazing young man.