So, everyone knows that when you come to Texas....you HAVE to visit San Antonio to see the Alamo. I think it is an unwritten law somewhere. Since I was a kid in Dallas, every relative that came to Texas (and we have A LOT of them...who come separately) has wanted to go see the Alamo. This has only increased since my parents moved to Austin (much CLOSER to the Alamo). So.....at the risk of sounding terribly un-Texan, I can say that I don't really care for driving out and visiting the Alamo. I remember thinking it was fun as a young kid, pouting and brooding about having to go AGAIN as a teen....now...FINALLY...as an adult, I am finding more and more things that I can enjoy about the trip to San Antonio.So when Christopher's parents came to town....guess what they wanted to see....? LOL Yep...the Alamo. Christopher's mother grew up her first 13 years in Texas and never saw it, so it was one of those things that simply could not continue to be undone. And I have to say that the trip to San Antonio with Christopher's parents has been one of my very favorite trips there. I even find myself looking forward to going back again so that I can see some things I didn't get to explore as much as I would have liked. It was really fun!
Of course, we started at the Alamo. On the walk there, we passed a monument with names of those who fought at the Alamo. Did you know a Kellogg fought there!? Neither did I! It was pretty cool to know we had a relative fighting there.


(Johnny Kellogg is the bottom right hand name in the above picture :)
Once we got to the Alamo, my kids spotted the police officers there and started jumping up and down and pointing "look mommy! look it's REAL cowboys!"
Yep....the police officers there wear cowboy hats. LOL My kids were thrilled to get their pictures taken with REAL cowboys. We quickly walked the kids through the Alamo and out the other side into the courtyard. Not being a history buff myself, and having seen the inside of the Alamo many times I find that I would rather skip the crowd and enjoy the presentations and scenery outside in the courtyard. Plus, the kids can run around a little more freely there. We told Christopher's parents to take as much time as they liked inside and to meet us in the courtyard when they were done. We really enjoyed exploring the courtyard with the kids. They really loved looking at the giant fish, exploring the cannons, and sitting in a carved out log pretending it was a boat.
It is a really beautiful and spacious courtyard and you can overhear the presentations they give so it is quite relaxing.By the time Christopher's parents came out and met up with us, the kids had noticed the HORSES pulling carriages outside the Alamo. They were VERY excited and impressed and definitely wanted to ride. Unfortunately, the rides were quite expensive so we proceeded on our way. However, the last driver in the line caught our attention and struck an amazing deal with Christopher's mom. So...we got to go on a carriage ride/tour!!!
It was really cool! In all my visits to San Antonio, I have NEVER been on a carriage ride before. It was really cool to see things in San Antonio that I had not seen before and hear some information that I had not heard before. Plus, I don't think I have EVER been on ANY carriage ride before and I felt very important and had a great time. Our driver was very friendly and at the end of the ride, she bravely let both of my kids climb up in the front and help "drive" the carriage. They ate this up and were so very excited (and I thought it was pretty awesome too). 
The carriage ride gave us some ideas of other things to see in San Antonio on this trip or others in the future.After the carriage ride, we decided to take Christopher's parents down on the river walk for a bit (also this way we could get to one of the places we saw on the carriage ride since it had a riverwalk entrance).
I always think the riverwalk is beautiful and relaxing. It just has a fun and romantic vibe. There is the smell of good food, ducks on the river, waterfalls, plants, live music, shops....like a little town away from the town.
Once we had walked a little ways, we found the entrance to "Rainforest Cafe" which we had seen on the carriage ride and my mom had also told me about. It was a pretty cool place.
It was a rainforest themed restaurant/shop. Even the tables and chairs were shaped like animals and some even had tails. There were big trees and mists and a lake with a "sleeping" crocodile.
So we took the kids over to look at it and.......it popped its head up and started roaring. (It was animatronic of course). The kids both jumped and Kate shrieked. We had to laugh because the thing kept roaring and every time it did, Kate would scream....over and over and over. LOL
Dallin also found a tree with a face. I think he must have jumped back 5 feet when it "bit" him and started talking. It was so funny.
We finally emerged to the street and enjoyed strolling past all of the interesting things there are to do in San Antonio. I was amazed at how much I had never noticed before. We saw crazy mirrors that distorted the kids bodies. They really got a kick out of that.
We met wax Superman and a GIANT T-Rex head and arms. 
Kate wouldn't get near it at all without crying.
Dallin was immediately interested, but when it started roaring and moving, he was pushing pretty hard against his daddy!
We even saw "Stumpy", a creepy looking half-man with a spine sticking out at Ripley's Believe it or Not. He had a pretty scary voice synthesizer, but was handing out lollipops to the kids. At first Dallin was scared of him, but as soon as Stumpy produced candy, Dallin was totally willing to go and get it and talk to him.
Kate, on the other hand,....did not care WHAT he had...she was going no where near the man and made her daddy get the sucker. I just kept thinking of the "stranger danger" footage of the guy saying "want some candy little boy?" and thinking that dallin would jump at the chance no matter WHO was giving it to him or WHAT they looked like. Hmmm...good....I guess we will be having that talk AGAIN...every day...for the rest of his life.After that we were pretty pooped. We were having a wonderful time and hated to leave, but we needed to get back before we were too tired. It was really fun and probably one of the most enjoyable trips I have ever had to San Antonio. Hopefully, we will be able to do it again soon!


1 comment:
Sounds like a wonderful adventure. I loved the picture tour. It was great!
Post a Comment