Friday, January 29, 2010

Remember When....The Holiday Hair Massacre of 2009

This Remember when occurred December 5, 2009. I am just now able to bring myself to blog about it. LOL So, many of you are aware that I love love LOVE girling it up with my Kate (who is about as girly as they come). I have been doing her hair since she had enough to style and have often done some really fun and intricate dos with her. I even make her bows to match her outfits....exactly :) So, as her hair has grown I have gotten practically giddy with excitement over the new things we are able to do with it and how adorable she looks. Her hair was finally past her shoulders and looking especially cute about a week before her dance recital in December. In this picture, she had it all crimpy from french braids the day before and she was wearing the little peppermint bows I made her. Then...the unthinkable happened.
Dallin experimented with scissors and hair :( No, he did NOT have the decency to experiment upon his own head of cow-lick city hair.....he CUT OFF Kate's hair. I was sick that day and had lingered in bed as Christopher had said that he would take care of the kids. I woke up with a sick feeling in my stomach for a whole different reason when Kate walked in and said "I'm so pretty! Look Mommy! Dallin cut my hair!" I was furious and heartbroken. There was hair EVERYWHERE! I bawled and bawled as I scolded him for cutting anyone's hair or ANYTHING besides paper and her for LETTING him. (Seriously, the things she lets him do.....like a lamb to the slaughter) Apparently, he convinced her that grandpa and grandma would think she was even more beautiful if he cut her hair short. Once I started crying like a crazy woman, Christopher was up with a start and quickly gathering up the long pieces of hair all over the house for me to keep. Dallin was sent to his room for safekeeping (I did not DARE lay a hand on him because I was so upset) and Kate started to cry.
I called my mom (who does haircuts for Christopher and the kids) and through my sobs told her what happened and asked if she could come fix it. Kate looked like her head had been caught up in a fight with a weed whacker. It was level with her ears or slightly below in most areas, but it was way above her ear on one side. My mom came over right away and picked her up. Upon seeing her, she decided she needed to call in the professionals and she rushed Kate to the beauty shop. She told them it was a hair emergency and apparently, they dropped everything and 3 of them worked on Kate to salvage all they could of her hair. They were very sweet and understanding. They said it was a good thing her hair was so long as he had cut off sooo much. If it had been shorter, she would have had to have a boys haircut and it wouldn't have been able to be salvaged into a cute little girl do. Kate's hair turned out totally cute in her little bob (but I am still pining for it to grow back ASAP) and you can hardly notice the spot by the one ear where it is really short. All in all, it turned out ok. I am glad it was hair and it will grow back, but I hope it NEVER NEVER happens again.

3 comments:

csharpfamily said...

Kate's Hair styles are already really cute and her hair is growing quickly. She is such a cute girly girl. So very fast the Hair Massacre will only be a memory.

Sparkle Mama said...

I feel your pain... I pray it never happens again and that it NEVER happens to Emma :)

Becky @ Babes in Hairland said...

Sorry it's taken me so long to get over here since you e-mailed me. I'm soooo sorry you had to go through that. I will die if any of the girls ever get chopped by an unwelcome hand! But -- I've got to say the finished haircut is extremely cute. She's a doll - truly a doll. I'll keep my fingers crossed that her hair grows fast for you! Thanks for taking the time to write me and for checking out my blog.