Sunday, March 14, 2010

Crazy Texas Weather

Today it was a beautiful day. Kids wore spring clothes to church. Short sleeves, sandals. We have windows in the house open and fans on. (We are still fighting against turning on the AC). However...a mere 3 weeks ago it was a VERY different story. We had SNOW! Not just a little bit of snow. We got about 6 inches of snow in Austin, Texas at the end of February!!! It was really unreal. The kids were ecstatic and immediately ran outside in whatever they could pull on to play in it. I let them go out poorly dressed because I was certain it wouldn't last long. I really liked Dallin's ensemble of t-shirt, pants, church coat, socks, and crocs....LOL Here is Kate in her jeans, t-shirt, Mary Janes, socks, winter hat, coat, and what's that peeking out? Of course.....her Easter dress she insisted wearing OVER her clothes! LOL
Boy, was I ever wrong. It snowed and snowed....big beautiful flakes for most of the day. The kids were in and out all day long. The dog, on the other hand, went out a couple of times, but was very happy to watch the kids from INSIDE the house. She did not enjoy the snow too much. What a weenie! Here the kids are defrosting after one of their MANY excursions. I got pretty good at having dry clothes and cocoa ready, redressing kids and getting them bundled under blankets!I don't know how many wet outfits we went through, but seeing that this NEVER happens here I didn't grouse too much about one day of 10 outfits, wet shoes, and crazy excited kids! After much pleading on their part (and waiting long enough to get enough snow), the kids finally convinced me to help them build a snowman. We did a pretty good job! It was definitely a Texas snowman because it had little pieces of grass and some of their outdoor toys and maybe a little dog poo sticking out of it (it got rolled up in the snow), but we were very proud. The kids were really good at rolling the snowballs around the yard until they got really big and they thought it was the coolest thing ever. Dallin was pretty good at it. Kate realized quickly that it made her hands cold and didn't want to be in the "hands on" part too much. Here is Dallin modeling our makeshift gloves. You can see them on his hands in the second rolling picture. Snow is COLD! Our hands needed something for protective snowman building gear. Yes....they are indeed dishtowels. No, they didn't have any. I really didn't think about needing them until this day. And yes....later I realized it would have been easier to use socks. LOL Hey, I panicked. It was SNOWING in TEXAS! After a few mishaps trying to stack our snowman, we got him built and we added a hat, some stick arms, a carrot nose, and grape eyeballs. I think Dallin went out later and added some grape buttons. It was a really fun day and a great memory. Texas weather....gotta LOVE it!!

3 comments:

Nathan and Shannon said...

That's so CRAZY! That's awesome you had enough to build a snowman! FUN!

csharpfamily said...

It certainly was crazy weather for Texas. Somehow, I missed out on seeing the amazing Texas Snowman! Good times!

Tammy said...

I think Kate's dress/pants combo is very cute!