Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Happy Saint Patrick's Day!

It is no surprise that with a red-headed husband and two red-headed kiddos, St Patricks Day is a celebrated holiday in our house. It includes traditions handed down from Christopher's family with a few of my ideas thrown in.
Dallin dressed himself this morning to make sure he had green on. Gotta love his outfit of choice, but we weren't going anywhere. Kate realized almost too late that she had no green on so we stuck a Christmas scrunchie in her hair until she picked her "outfit" of green Tinkerbell pajamas. Yep...we are really classy some days. On a side note: Nana and Uncle Michael showed up later NOT wearing green and were greeted by LOTS of over zealous pinching fingers! LOL I finally had to call them off....it's serious business at this house! I made the kids green eggs and ham for breakfast. I am trying to be aware of food colorings in our diet, but today.....we HAD to eat some seriously green food! It was fun and the kids were so excited about it. There is something about green food though.....it is just hard to eat without thinking about rancid meat and ensuing food poisoning. I think the pictures of the kids are funny because they were totally excited about it, but the pictures make them look really concerned. LOL Dallin cleaned his plate (and part of Kate's too)
Later in the day, we built leprechaun traps. I think as the kids get older, they will each want to build their own and they will become more elaborate, but this year Kate wasn't too interested in building it. Dallin was very enthusiastic, but we did good to prop up a mini tote with a t.p. roll connected to a string. Then Dallin put some shiny yellow marbles inside to entice the leprechaun and some wadded up t.p. for his sleeping comfort. Oh yeah.....we are sooooo classy. LOL They were hoping for a pot of gold, but Dallin's big wish was the Mirror of Sashen (from American Dragon Jake Long). Apparently this mirror is used by leprechauns to switch places with another person. Hmmmmm.....I told him they don't usually carry it around.
The kids were sooooo excited when I called them in from the backyard (yes...Dallin was playing in the mud....is there anything else in the yard to do?) because their trap had been "sprung". Inside they found magic leprechaun dust (gold and green glitter-you can see it a little bit in the picture under the gold coin) and gold coins. Dallin kept jumping up and down saying "we're rich! we're rich! I can't wait to cash them in". When I pointed out they were chocolate, the disappointment didn't last too long and the snacking commenced.We finished our evening with a traditional dinner of corned beef and cabbage with potatoes. The kids are liking it more each year. They still don't have mustard on top, but they both ate up the corned beed and all their potatoes (I think some cabbage may have even gone down by mistake...lol) Dallin was practically inhaling the meat and kept calling it the "slimy roast beef". I think this is because of the fat on the meat. He really loves the "slimy roast beef!" We even had green jello for dessert.
It was a fun day and I hope to do even more next year! Happy St Patricks Day!

2 comments:

Tammy said...

Sounds like fun! The green eggs and ham are cool, but I dunno if I would eat it...lol I think the color would totally scare me away. I like your leprechaun trap too! very nice!

csharpfamily said...

Sounds like so much fun! How clever with the leprechaun trap and the dust and gold coins. I wanna live at your house! It looks like more fun than over here.