Monday, June 14, 2010

To Kate on her 3rd Birthday (a little bit late)


Dear Kate,
I know this is a little bit late, but I wanted to make sure that I wrote you a letter on (or about) your birthday this year. Kate, you are my precious baby girl. I remember the day they told me you were going to be a girl. Boy was I ever mad! I was certain I wanted another little boy. I have never been more pleased to be proven wrong. You came into this world so quietly, barely a peep. I sometimes couldn't even hear your little cry so I checked you constantly. You were the easiest baby. It was like playing house. I really needed that. I called you my "feel good baby" because you made me feel like a good mom. You have been 150% girl from the word go. I have LOVED every single minute of it. If I never have another daughter, I will feel completely satisfied that I have, indeed, had the FULL little girl experience with you. I have loved dressing you up and doing your hair. Because of you I learned to MAKE hairbows and accessories. You would still prefer a dress or a skirt over shorts or pants any day. If I would let you, you would wear your big puffy church dresses every day of the week. Thank goodness we have been blessed with so many hand me downs so you have many options for play dresses and skirts to wear everyday. You have been known to go out and about in your princess dress up dresses. I think you attended at least half of Dallin's soccer practices last season as Cinderella complete with crown. It was funny to watch you dribble a soccer ball up and down the field in a gown and heels. I guess it is true what they say, women can do anything men can do.....in heels! You have also ventured to the grocery store all fancied up. Someday you will be too embarrassed to do this, so I enjoy it while it lasts.
You have so many emotions and you are soooo dramatic. I know it comes naturally to you as you were pulling the lip at 3 days old. Almost everything that comes out of your mouth comes out in a whine, and almost every experience is a crisis. You often grunt or point and talk in babytalk. We are really trying to get this to end. I have saved a hysterical you from countless chocolate blobs (bugs). Although it can wear on our nerves, it is sometimes very funny to watch. We will tease you about it occasionally....you do NOT appreciate this.

You love being my baby. Until very recently, you would declare firmly that YOU were the baby whenever asked if you wanted to be a big sister. You waller all over my lap and love to be held, cuddled, stroked, tickled, hugged, and kissed. You will spend as much time as you can get just gazing into my eyes and stroking my face. I love this and I cling to every minute of it. You are such a precious little girl. I gaze back into your eyes intently and stroke your face too, hoping to burn it into your being that I adore you so that you won't forget it as you grow older.

Although you LOVE being beautified and getting compliments on your cute outfits and hair, you have really started complaining about having your hair done. You don't like the "tangles". Sometimes you will start yelling about how much they hurt before I even touch your head. But somehow every morning, you will sit on your little stool while I sit on the couch and do your hair. You are finally getting enough hair to really do things with. It took a long time to grow back since Dallin cut most of it off at Christmas time. (You have also recently cut off a lock above your ear...but it is not too noticable). The styles we do the most on your hair are braids, messy buns (in groups of 4), and puffy ponytails. You have even started combing my hair this year. When you first started, it was pretty painful. You hit me with the brush more than you combed. When you figured out the combing motion, you would comb in one place sooo long that I thought I would have track marks and be bleeding. You have pretty much worked out the system now, and I have to say I LOVE THIS. I love having my hair combed and spending time with you is a big bonus.
You love all things princess. Your favorite princess is usually Cinderella but you also like Sleeping Beauty, Belle ("Gold"), Ariel, and Snow White. You have started to pretend and will spend hours lining up your princesses or putting them in the dollhouse and taking them out....all while having full blown storylines. I love to hide around the corner and just listen. You are so amazing!

You love your brother and he loves you back. You always want to play with him. You also pester him mercilessly. Unfortunately for you....he is MUCH bigger in size and when he has finally had enough....you get the short end of the stick. You are both very good at pretend and will act out elaborate stories. You especially love to play Scooby Doo. You are always Daphne Blake. Dallin is always Freddy and Macy is Scooby. Dallin is still young enough that he will place Princess/Prince with you. It is not unusual for you two to get married several times a week. This usually entails you dressing up in a princess dress up dress and asking me to do your hair and makeup since you are "getting married". Dallin also puts on his Sunday best. He is always done before you and keeps telling you that "you look fine!!!", but you want everything just perfect. It always makes me laugh. After you guys are "married" you usually share a slow dance around the living room. It is just precious and I love watching how magical everything is for you.
You tried out dance class this year, and although you LOVE to dance and are really a good little dancer you did NOT like to go. You loved BEING there, but you were always worried you were missing something at home. You were so self conscious and if you didn't do the "head shoulders knees and toes" dance just right, you would burst into hysterical sobs. I still think you were one of the best little dancers in the class and I LOVED watching you in your winter recital, but we called it quits in the spring until you were old enough to stick with something else a little better. You are insisting that you want to be in soccer this fall.....we shall see. I think you can do anything you want to do, but we will see if the drama gets the better of us in a physical sport. Also, you are convinced that the jerseys should be pink or purple and the team should be all-girls. I have explained over and over that it's not that way in 3 yr old co-ed soccer and I am hoping that it is sinking in. You have visions of sugarplums! FUN FACTS ABOUT OUR FAVORITE 3 YEAR OLD:
Height:
37 inches (all legs.....when you sit down you are the same height as your cousin Madison...who is a year younger)

Weight:
29 pounds (yep, you are my feather weight....people are always amazed that you and Dallin come from the same genes since he was 31 pounds at 2)
Favorite Color: Pink (purple is a close second)
Favorite Song: Taylor Swift's You Belong With Me (It is very cute listening to you and your brother belt out "i wear high heels I wear sneakers over and over while you are playing")
Favorite Food: ANYTHING sweet. You LOVE sugar. You also like strawberries, bananas, and bread.
Favorite Book: 5 minute Princess Stories
Favorite Show: Scooby Doo
Favorite Movie: Cinderella (or Cinderella II)
Favorite Thing to Do: play with princesses or look at your princess books. you also enjoy riding your bike.
Other fun facts about you:
*
You LOVE LOVE LOVE your nana and spending time with her doing ANYTHING, even errands. This backfires though since you are very jealous of Madison being anywhere NEAR nana (or anyone else for that matter....you are a jealous little thing)
*You are VERY coordinated and flexible, you can almost balance on your head all by yourself.
*You are developing a relationship with your cousin, Madison. You girls are actually starting to play together and hug each other. You have even said that you love Madison and she is your best friend. This has been a long time in coming as you used to get upset if she even blinked at you.
*You are quick to say "thank you" and point out when someone says "kind words" to you or someone else.
*When you get excited you jump up and down or start dancing. It is adorable.
*You are very sensitive about being laughed at....just like your mom
*You are looking more like your daddy every day. You have his eyes and his mouth.
*You are learning your letters and can recognize most all of them by sight. You can also tell me the sounds they make.
*You are potty trained!!! Although you occasionally use it as a weapon and pee on the floor when you are upset with me....we call this chemical warfare.
*You know how to put the laundry on the couch from the dryer, unload the dishwasher, put away the silverware, set/clear the table, clean your room, dress yourself, and brush your teeth (although you still like for me to do it). You also love to help me vacuum with the little pink vacuum.
*You call a hangnail a "booger" and you don't like them at all. You also don't care for most things slimy or sticky. You insist on being clean....except for mud....you and Dallin LOVE mud.

I love you Kate and all your girly ways. I am enjoying watching you grow up and become a big girl. I am proud of you. You are truly fabulous!

Love you forever,
Mom

3 comments:

Nathan and Shannon said...

That was such a sweet letter and so cool that you wrote that! She will love it!

csharpfamily said...

Such a cute trip down memory lane. Katie, thanks for all the awesome memories!

Tammy said...

Love seeing all the photos of her growing up! I will probably steal that idea when Maddie turns 2. :)